|Project by Glen Peterson||posted 12-25-2013 12:44 AM||1094 views||0 times favorited||13 comments|
This was an interesting project. I’ve loved hollow forms since taking David Ellsworth’s workshop several years ago. I began turning this odd lump of wood a few years ago, when it was somewhat green. I couldn’t figure out what to do with it so I put it aside until I found the right inspiration. The section of maple log contained big voids, rot, butling, insect trails, spalting, a variety of colors, and lots of cracks. Several weeks ago (Nov 2013). I threw it on the lathe. After years in the barn it has dried and substantially changed shape. I started shaping the exterior and soon became nervous that the wood was too unstable to hollow without it coming apart. There is a large fissure that goes more than half way around the form and from the bottom almost to the top. You can see it in the photos. I’ve never used butterfly keys in a round turned form, but thought they were the only way to hold the piece together. It has 3 bubinga keys that are about 1.25” long. It was a fun challenge to carve straight tenons for the butterflies in 3 very different curved surfaces in some unstable wood. The keys were about 1/2” thick at first. The project also required lots of CA glue, as bits broke off during turning, and just a few prayers. I’m glad I have CA deactivator since I glued fingers together more than once. The final form is about 6” high and 8” in diameter. The mouth is about 2.5” in diameter, and was part of a void. The vessel’s thickness is about 3/16” throughout. It has 2 coats of Waterlox that I wiped off before it had time to dry, and later rubbed gently with 0000 steel wool. I really like the shape, but the color and character of the wood wasn’t really apparent until the finish was applied. I thought about adding wax or buffing, but I think I like the matte finish. Any critiques welcome.
P.S. I’m adding dates to projects. I realized I couldn’t remember the years I made some of the earlier project posted here.