|Project by woodsyman||posted 12-24-2013 05:18 PM||1002 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
Another year done, another round of scrambling about in the shop trying to make as many gifts as possible in a limited amount of time. As you can see, this year I decided on spoons, rolling pins, mallets, and a couple of signs; one for the newlyweds, and one for my father-in-law farmer.
The spoons, rolling pins, and carving mallets were made from hickory, ash and hedge (or osage orange). All of these nice hardwoods are found in the timber behind our house, which makes the story of these pieces that much more interesting. The wood was all just lying around out in the timber so I’m really not sure how wet or dry the wood is, which concerns me but not enough to be afraid. If they check and crack, oh well, just adds character right? I did my best though to saturate all of the pieces with oil for the past week or so while they dry up more inside at room temperature.
The Carlson’s sign was a fairly straight forward project. An old barn board was re-purposed, no planing of the historic patina, but I did draw-knife around the edges to give it a more weathered look. The lettering was done via plunge router and v-groove bit. Keyhole slot in back for a way to hang this piece on the wall.
The state of Iowa corn sign is for my farming father-in-law. He gave me these ears of corn with the husk a month ago and said, I’d like you to make me a plaque or sign or something for xmas with these. So this is what I came up with. He did say he’d like it to read something to the effect of “this is what we do”, I just simplified that a bit into “It’s what we do”. Same as before, re-purposed barn board (perfect for the farmer) routed the lettering, keyhole slot cut in back for hanging. The most difficult part of this project was the custom welded hardware used to mount the ears of corn. I welded 3 framing nails together in a way to drive the two into the board, and the third nail welded perpendicular to the two supporting nails, will receive the ear pushed down onto it. It took a little pondering before I came up with that solution, and in the end it is the look I wanted, clean and highlighting the full ear! Also, if those ears ever need changed out for a real record yield crop some year, it is super easy to change one out. Holds up the ear very sturdy and strong too, just the way I like it. I think there is a blacksmith waiting patiently inside ready to be put to full duty work someday.
Merry Christmas to all, and the best of luck in the new year!
-- Peace be with you!