|Project by woodsyman||posted 12-24-2013 04:18 PM||2044 views||4 times favorited||4 comments|
Ever since I first saw a shaving horse in use, probably by Roy U. on the Woodwright Shop, I fell in love with this tool and put it on my “Must Have” list. Well, I finally found the time to build one this winter. After much research and inner debate, I decided to go with this style of shave horse. It is my favorite of all partly because it is probably the original design used throughout history, but also because of the way it is built.
Season 1 of the Woodwright’s shop has a few episodes dedicated to building this piece. I won’t go into too much detail, but it is a great lesson in minimalist woodworking. The main bench slab was split from a large diameter Ash log that was fairly green using steel wedges to score the mark, and then to start the split. Larger wooden wedges finish the split out. I trued the slab further with axe and adze. The rest of the parts also came from the same Ash log. More splitting, more refining, but most of the work was handled predominately with the axe. Eventually, some holes were bored, legs driven, dumbhead fitted.
The photo shows that I still have some work to do on cleaning up the sides, removing bark etc. I also want to hollow out both sides of the main bench slab to create some more space for my legs to fit. As soon as the steel pin was fit through the working parts, these inanimate pieces came to life, and proved to be a strong holding device. I look forward to exploring the many benefits of having this tool.
-- Peace be with you!