|Project by harriw||posted 12-24-2013 06:48 AM||786 views||2 times favorited||1 comment|
One for my parents, and one for my In-laws for Christmas. They’re both 12” in diameter, as that’s as wide as my planer can handle. The one on the left is Cherry in the center, purple heart stripes framed by maple, and walnut on the outside framed by cherry. The one on the right is alternating cherry and oak stripes separated by walnut strips.
I love the pattern on the left one, and am happy with the one on the right, but I don’t think I’ll mix cherry and oak again – there just isn’t enough contrast between them. My parents have cherry cabinets and quarter-sawn oak flooring so I thought it might fit well, and I had a piece of cherry lying around that I couldn’t use for other projects because it was full of small voids, but I thought the voids might look nice here – particularly when paired with the oak. I’m hoping the contrast will improve as the cherry darkens over time.
Finish is 3 coats of Watco Danish oil, followed by 2 coats of wipe-on poly (first time using it, but I’m quite impressed with the result). I’m going to give it another 24 hours and give them both a nice coat of paste wax for a nice smooth finish.
For a bearing, I used the 6” square bearings from Woodcraft, because we have a local store here. I believe Rockler has the exact same one too. One of the pictures shows how the screw holes from top and bottom are offset so they can be screwed to both pieces. They work nicely, but are a bit noisier than I expected. I added a few drops of oil into the bearing race, and that helped a bit. Not bad at all for $4 each.
The base is just a piece of mdf framed in cherry. Mainly because I had the mdf sitting there, and it was the perfect thickness to take the machine screws, but not make the platform too high off the table. You’ll never see the mdf, and I could hide it even better by making the cherry border a bit taller than the mdf.
-- Bill - Western NY