|Project by mcgbanker||posted 12-23-2013 03:48 PM||1532 views||5 times favorited||8 comments|
First some background. I joined Lumberjocks last year when I took up woodworking again after a 20 year hiatus. Lumberjocks and it’s members have been a great resource to me as I re-aquatinted myself and dusted off my long forgotten skills.
After building a kitchen countertop with 75 year old reclaimed heart pine lumber earlier this year for for my sister, my oldest daughter promptly put in her request for an “elegant” farmhouse table. Thus began a four month woodworking journey that included sourcing the lumber (175 year old heart pine from a home built pre-1840), buying new equipment (a handy excuse), researching how I would go about the build and select the proper way to apply a finish to such noble wood and, along the way, learning a few new woodworking skills. One of the photos shows the weathered condition of the wood. The clamping photo gives you a good view of the wood after it was cleaned up. This wood was absolutely gorgeous.
The legs and aprons are maple and were finished with a French ivory paint and then glazed to give it a slightly antiqued look. I think the glaze really tied the finish of the legs and aprons to the finish on the top quite well.
Since I don’t have a lathe (probably would have justified buying one if my shop had the room!), I initially planned to just make the top and buy a table base kit from Osborne Wood Products. After giving this some thought, I decided on just buying the legs (Osborne makes great table legs, by the way!) and bought a mortising machine to make the mortises to join the legs to the aprons. This turned out very well, as I basically saved enough making the aprons and cutting the mortises and tenons to pay for a new Shopfox mortisier. The mortisier came in very handy for the mortises on the legs as well as the breadboard ends.
By doing this, I was also able to add a couple of drawers on the end aprons, which would not have been available had I bought the table base kit. Also decided to build a matching bench. My daughter plans to add wooden chairs with upholstered seats for the remaining chairs. Shhh…she doesn’t know I would probably build the chairs if she asked…...
I initially applied a few coats of hand rubbed poly to the top, but did not like the way it was turning out. Decided to sand the top coat off and start again. Decided to try Waterlox Original (had not used it before) and I was very pleased. The top currently has 4 coats of Waterlox and I will be adding a couple more. Looks awesome already.and it was extremely easy to apply. Great product!
Hope you enjoy!