|Project by ghost5||posted 12-23-2013 02:48 PM||808 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
This is a piece I got from a rescued log. I got it from a tree cutter before it went to a burn pile then left the logs in the shade for several months before putting them in my solar kiln. After a few months of drying I took this blank out to see what I had. It has some nice spalting in the sapwood and I had to deal with some small cracks in the heartwood but I think it turned out nice. It is a little thicker than I would have liked but I decided with the minor cracks to not push my luck.
I did get some tear out and a few tool marks are still visible but not a bad bowl. The shape is based on a piece of pottery I saw which is one thing I enjoy doing since i am fascinated with the shapes potters use. I left the bottom flat because (1) I like them that way and (B) I wanted the grain and color to show. Measures around 7” x 3” and is finished with clear stain and lacquer.
Time to go dig around and find another piece like this one.
-- Tommy, http://www.followingghost.com