|Project by bobdurnell||posted 08-19-2008 10:43 PM||10490 views||0 times favorited||13 comments|
A week or so ago my neighbor asked if I could do anything with his remaining table leaf. It had been stored very poorly in a wet area and one end had termite damage. The next best thing was to make new ones. The result is pictured. I used poplar for the core and walnut flat sawn veneer for the top and some 1/8 in birch plywood for the bottom. The original leaf was a net 1” thick so I used 5/4 poplar and had the planks surface sanded to 7/8. The plywood would make up the difference because the veneer sure wouldn’t. Since I had the old leaf I transferred the alignment pins locations very carefully. Had an old can of some red mahogany stain that matched the table top since it had lightened up over the years and I used Minwax polyurathane for the top coats.
-- bobdurnell, Santa Ana California.