LumberJocks

Facade lighting

  • Advertise with us
Project by dgom posted 12-20-2013 07:18 PM 972 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is a project I planned for a long time and this autumn eventually I had the time to finish it.

All the parts needed for fabrication of the 20 identical 1W power-LED spotlights were ordered at Ebay, mostly from China, totalling about $50. While waiting for the items to be delivered (2-3 weeks) I started to manufacture the spotlight armatures which are made from 22 mm MDF. To get an effective production of so many identical parts, I did one processing step at a time on all items, roughly following these steps:

1. Saw circle blanks (band saw) about 70 mm (3’‘) in diameter
2. Drill a centered hole in the middle (approx. 3 mm)
3. Fasten the blank on the lathe with a screw centered on a face plate, shape the outer profile, sand
4. Drill 4 holes to specific depth indicating the corners of the heatsink
5. Drill 2 holes through for fastening purposes and countersink from the face side
6. Drill 2 holes to specific depth to make room for the screws fastening the LED star to the heatsink
7. Drill 2 holes to specifc depth to make room for the cables to the LED star
8. Drill a centered hole (approx. dia. 22 mm) to hold the lens from the face side with a Forstner bit to specific depth
9. Drill a centered hole (approx. dia. 35 mm) to hold the heatsink/LED assembly from the back side with a Forstner bit to specific depth

Then I painted all MDF-parts white before mounting the 45 degree lens (press fit) and LED assembly (LED stars with attached cables, tightened with two M3 screws to the heatsink with a dab of thermal compound in between). The holes in step 4 were placed to get a snug fit of the heatsink corners so no adhesive was needed.

When all the spotlights were finished I “only” had to crawl in the attic for about 8 hours to place a single cable (all the LEDs are serially connected, two separate circuits with 10 LEDs in each) at the roof base and pull it through the holes I drilled from the outside so that the spotlights could be connected and fastened.

I am very pleased with the end result. The 1W LEDs give enough light (about 100 lm each) to light up the white brick facade in a decorative way. The garden also gets some light (especially when there is snow) and hopefully this arrangement also puts of possible burglars.

Next project is to combine a Raspberry Pi with a wireless transmitter which remotely will control a switch in the attic to handle switching on/off the lights automatically depending on calculated sunset/sunrise times as a function of longitude/latitude…





2 comments so far

View NickyP's profile

NickyP

157 posts in 1184 days


#1 posted 12-20-2013 10:13 PM

REALLY nice look. Great contrast off of the brick siding. Great idea . . . well done.

-- -- "Never underestimate the power of a kind word, a good deed, or a table saw."

View jaykaypur's profile

jaykaypur

4006 posts in 1869 days


#2 posted 12-20-2013 11:45 PM

I think they turned out great and the future wireless remote switch will really trick the whole project out! Nice job and they look really nice on the house.

-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com