Bathroom Vanity #2

  • Advertise with us
Project by EricTy posted 12-20-2013 04:50 PM 1461 views 2 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bathroom Vanity #2
Bathroom Vanity #2 No picture No picture No picture No picture No picture
Zoom Pictures

We finally finished the second vanity and dropped it in place last weekend. Now we can paint the last of the trim and wrap this bathroom project up.

The vanity carcass is 3/4 plywood for the sides and bottom, 1/2 for the back. The face frame, door frames, door boxes, door faces and shelf are all made from, you guessed it, skid wood.

The dovetails were all cut by hand and I’m quite proud to say they were my first ones and for the most part, look pretty good.

The drawer slides are Blum with Blumotion. The door hinges are the same thing. Yes, this is overkill for a bathroom vanity, but this was the warm-up for the kitchen cabinets so I wanted to learn my lessons here.

I did make some mistakes along the way and learned some valuable lessons:

1. I purposely cut the dovetails proud so I could trim them. I did not take this into account when I cut the drawer boards. This made the drawers more narrow than they should have been and I had to make shims to go behind the drawer slides since Blum requires a certain distance for the slides to work properly. Lesson: cut the boards long if I do this again.

2. I built the drawer too deep according the Blum and had to make spacers to push their quick connect back. Lesson: if you are using Bblum and later attaching a face plate to the drawer (I used through dovetails), the drawer box is to be the depth Blum calls for (I’m still wrapping my head around this one…)

3. I’m amazed out how inconsistent the plywood thickness is. I measured multiple places along the edges and set the dado to the max measurement. This meant that most of the fits were more loose than I wanted. Maybe it was because is was Home Depot birch plywood. Lesson: try using good stuff next time.

4. Yes, that’s the grain of the raised panels going left and right. Technically, this isn’t a mistake. These panels are a single piece and I had this wood (eastern white pine) leftover from another project. This was the only way they would fit in the doors. Lesson: use what you have unless you don’t have it.

Overall, we’re very happy with how this turned out. The bathroom looks worlds better from what it was.

Here are a few pics of the before.

Here’s series of pics I took during the build.

-- Only you know the mistakes were intentional...

2 comments so far

View mariva57's profile


666 posts in 2176 days

#1 posted 12-29-2013 08:50 AM

It seems to me well done, compliments.

-- The common man thinks. The wise man is silent. The stupid man discusses.

View wrenchhead's profile


221 posts in 3335 days

#2 posted 01-26-2018 10:55 PM


-- I could quit if I wanted

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics