|Project by Blackbear||posted 12-20-2013 02:00 PM||3266 views||31 times favorited||43 comments|
A coworker was talking about getting his wife a wine cabinet. I saw the picture he had and said, “hey, I could probably do that”. He commissioned me to give it a try. This is my first sizable furniture project and I’m pretty happy with the results.
I picked up all the wood rough sawn from a local mill and was fortunate enough to find a piece of crotch walnut for the top. All three boards in the top are cut from the same piece, matched the best I could. The wine bottle racks are curly maple and the drawer front is birdseye maple.
To attach the racks I used sliding dovetail joints. I had to make a plywood support for my router table to create smooth and square dovetails since the inserts in my router table are plastic and flexed slightly. To do the dovetail slots I clamped all four legs together and made a jig to ride my plunge router against. I actually had two fences for each cut to capture the router.
The skirts at the top are my first venture into traditional mortise and tennon joints. I cut the mortises with a plunge router and cut the tennons on the table saw. I rounded the tennons with a file instead of trying to square the mortises with a chisel.
The tapering on the bottom of the legs was done with a tapering jig on the tablesaw. The maple inlays were done using a cross cut sled on the table saw.
The top got 5 coats of wipe on poly to fill the grain, then sanded back with 400 and then 600 grit sandpaper, then an additional 4 coats of wipe on poly. The rest of the piece is several coats of Watco Danish Oil with some paste wax to finish it off.
Comments and critiques are welcome, thanks for loooking.