|Project by TerryDowning||posted 12-18-2013 05:52 PM||1708 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
This is for an upcoming Holiday Gift Exchange at work.
It started out as a 4 layers, but laziness in gluing up the rings means I did not measure accurately and the top ring was too far off of center.
I decided to part off the top ring and see if I had enough material left to re glue. Nope, it was no go.
So I pressed ahead and finished the remaining 3 layers settling for a bowl 5 ” in diameter and about 1 3/4” tall.
Here’s the finished bowl with the first coat of gloss sprayed on and the top ring that was parted off.
I’m calling it a save.
Take your time and measure, never trust your eye no matter how many times you have done something.
I don’t like turning Cherry, it tears very easily. I wound up relying on my disposable 60 Grit skew to get this one done, I just could not get the tear out eliminated with a tool.
I was also experiencing a lot of chatter when working this piece. When I removed the jaws to replace with my Cole jaws I noticed that I installed the Jaws on my chuck in the wrong places jaw 2 and 3 were switched and I’m pretty sure that was the issue. Those things are indexed and labeled for a reason!
Finish is 1 application of BLO and a clear Gloss top coat.
I hope the recipient enjoys it.
-- - Terry