|Project by Scott Shea||posted 12-18-2013 10:10 AM||1001 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
After finishing the previous climbing bear, I realized that I had a lot of scrap wood that I wanted to dwindle down. I had seen toddler wood cars on the internet, and I wasn’t totally happy with the simplicity involved, so I somehow settled on a VW Bug profile car. I used 3/4” poplar to start off. I thought one piece would suffice, but I then added another 3/4” side to it to give it some depth. I made a couple of errors cutting out the windows, so I then realized that I could make those pieces the interior and grabbed some 1/4” birch ply and made two more sides. I was more careful cutting these pieces out with the scroll saw, and before I glued these pieces up, I decided to make a fender. I found another piece of poplar (I think it was 1/8”) and cut both of these pieces. I then glued the two center pieces together. When they were dry, I finished cutting out the interior with the scroll saw. I was able to add a “bench seat” to it! After finding success with the heat tinting with the bear climb project, I popped these (and the pre-made axles) into the over at 400 degrees for two hours. After cooling them off for about 10 minutes and they were still warm, I glued everything up. The idea was to make it look like wood sided VW Bug. I did the final sanding on the 12” disk sander and my 3” drum sander attached to my drill press. The wheels are 1-1/2” pre-made wheels from the craft store. I sprayed one coat of satin Polyurethane over it to finish it. This project took about five hours start to finish. I hope my son likes it! If he doesn’t, I will play with it! I have more scrap to whittle down so I’ll make a few more toy cars and planes and then hopefully I’ll have all Christmas gifts completed.
I am getting a band saw for Christmas from the wife (I’m going with the Grizzly G0555LANV and buying the riser block), so after the next couple of Christmas gifts, I’ll be back to making furniture.
-- I make sawdust. I think thats a fair assessment of my finished products!