|Project by JC_WW||posted 12-17-2013 02:31 AM||1182 views||5 times favorited||3 comments|
My wife charged me with making a floating shelf for the nursery. Catch was, it had to match the existing furniture we already had.
The shelf itself is pretty simple. I just made a box out of poplar and then a support out of pine that bolted to the studs in the wall. Getting the profile to match was the tricky part, I had to go to the community wood shop and use a 1” cove bit. The bit was still a little small so had to employ some optical tricks and hope no one would notice. The stain was matched by Sherwin-Williams and it came out really well.
I used “Goodnight Moon” to make sure it was square (my square was two stories down). If you look at the last picture, you’ll see the extension I had to add in the middle. Some one accidentally cut the board to short and I couldn’t find the board stretcher. Luckily, it’s hard to notice. Comments and critiques are always welcome.
-- Justin C.