|Project by Gittyup||posted 12-15-2013 10:43 PM||3193 views||25 times favorited||17 comments|
When planning this project, the drum is of course the hardest part. I really didn’t want to make a bunch of disks, glue them together and try to true it up. And the kits for the 24” drums were too much money. So, I went looking on ebay. I found this great steel roller covered in hard rubber. It is 22” long with a 1” shaft. I scored it for $50 and it spins true.
The roller is heavy (28 lbs) and I wanted pillow blocks that would stand up to it. So, I ordered these beefy pillow blocks and the pulleys from surplus supply. I bought a new 1/2 hp motor v-link belt from harbor freight.
I was concerned about safety with an open belt drive. So, I extended the sides to accommodate a cover (see next to last photo). The cover worked pretty good, but there was a lot of hogging out of the underside of the top with the router to clear the bearings and pulleys. Boy do I hate routing MDF!
The top is two 3/4” layers of MDF and 1/8” hardboard for a total thickness of 1 5/8”. I edged it with fir and coated with 5 layers of shellac. Pretty sturdy. It came out pretty flat, by gluing and applying even weight over the whole thing on a flat table for a solid week before disturbing. Doing the cutout and hogging out the underside took quite some time.
I got the sides a little lower than I’d like, but it still adjusts and sands very well, if a little up hill. I wanted the on/off switch on the working side. So I fished the wire under the dust ramp. But then I wasn’t thinking about the top hitting it when open. Rather than move the switch, I added the support arm to hold the lid up. Even if it opened all the way, I think this is a prudent safety addition – rock solid, can’t fall.
Anyway it seems to work very well. I have about $225 in it not including wood. All wood was from scraps.