LumberJocks

Skid Wood Plant Shelf

  • Advertise with us
Project by EricTy posted 12-13-2013 03:15 PM 727 views 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

Me and the Permanent Roommate just finished the next small project. I’m the builder and she’s the finisher.

The stools that were used for the plants were in the way of vacuuming and such so she threatened to start letting the plants die until a shelf was made. (In a deep voice with eyes blazing) You shall not kill my plants.

If any of you have read my other projects, you’ll know I like using skid wood. There’s something good about taking wood that’s beat up and re-purposing it. You can see the nail holes in the pic of the underside.

WARNING: Here’s my biggest tip for using skid wood. The nails are not the problem as they can be removed. In the nail holes is usually bits of rust or plating or other nail material that is left behind. You don’t know it’s there and can’t see it until you start planing the wood and work your way halfway through the hole when suddenly you get a line or you wood from the planer. Aargh, the dangers of wood that had nails in it. What I do now is I drill out the nail holes to remove all that I can and pay extra attention to how I cut and plane the wood.

The brackets are white oak and the top is red oak (all from skids). I used a through mortise and tenon with wedges to lock them together (I actually really enjoy make things without fasteners and I feel I’m headed down that path in my heirloom projects … ).

I don’t normally use biscuits but given this was 6’ long, I wanted them to glue up good and straight so I could easily pass them through the planer to final thickness.

It may be hard to see from the pics, but I used a hand plane to just slightly taper the edges of the top. I have a Stickley Chromewald piece right next to this and it has a similar taper and looks really nice.

I used a hand scraper to put the finish on and left as many of the defects from the skid as I could without it looking like crap. PR put three coats of water based Poly.

I went back and forth with how to hold it to the wall. I gave great consideration to using keyholes in the brackets but in the end, I didn’t like the idea of trying to get all screws in perfect alignment in the wall and level and… It just seemed like a real pain. Instead I have four Spax screws going into studs doing the dirty work. Since they are under the bracket, they really disappear unless you’re looking for them.

If anybody ever wants Sketchup models, let me know. I usually do models of my projects and use them as the drawings (just take dimensions right off the screen).

Up next will be the bathroom vanity (#2) and then my full attention goes to finishing the kitchen design and starting on the cabinets.

Enjoy and thanks for reading!

-- Only you know the mistakes were intentional...





1 comment so far

View Fishinbo's profile

Fishinbo

11343 posts in 920 days


#1 posted 12-17-2013 04:02 PM

Great idea, like the use of reclaimed woods and it saves space, the room looks more neat as well. Great job!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase