|Project by Eddie||posted 12-09-2013 04:52 PM||1192 views||3 times favorited||28 comments|
A few months ago I bought a Shopsmith.
I have used nearly every function that it could do…except the lathe. I have zero experience with a lathe so I started reading/watching videos about the techniques involved.
I was given a few large awkwardly shaped pieces of black walnut (or so I was told…I am not the best at telling the species, is this black walnut?) and I figured I could make a bowl blank out of them.
As I began to turn the wood I found that the bark actually was pretty thick in places and I discovered quite a few checks/cracks/bug holes.
As I did not have an exact plan of the final shape that I wanted, I just went with it as a few pieces chunked out.
In fear of the bowl breaking I did not hollow the whole thing out, instead changed the design from bowl to planter.
I am really happy with how it finished up. I used a salad bowl finish on the outside and a shellac finish inside to help with water protection.
It is far from perfect. There are still small marks from my gouges and sanding but it shows that its my first project on the lathe and will be perfect for my desk at work.
Let me know what you guys think!
Below are pics of the process: