|Project by Ottacat||posted 12-08-2013 04:44 PM||2465 views||9 times favorited||12 comments|
This is a walnut end table I made for my mother. The top is a quad-match walnut burl veneer framed by 1/4” of maple and then a full walnut frame.
The base design came from an article in Fine Woodworking by Timothy Rousseau on a frame and panel cabinet. I altered the dimensions to make it fit the size and height my mom wanted.
The frame, top and bottom aprons and front blades are all solid walnut. I used the Domino extensively in this project. The frame is all assembled using Dominos, the top frame around the veneer is attached with Dominos and the mitred edges are held together with Dominos. It can’t be seen but I also them in assembling the drawer. The Dominos sped up the joinery part of the project and made it dead on. It enabled my to concentrate on other new things for me such as the veneered top.
The panels are walnut veneered plywood. The plywood veneer was slip-matched so I spent a fair amount of time to ensure that I cut out even looking sections. To help I made a cardboard cutout of each the sides, back and door to get a pleasing and balanced section of the plywood. It was my first frame and panel project. It is fairly simple in its lines but I think it works.
This was my first time joining veneer to create the quad-match top. I found cutting and jointing the burl was a fussy process but I took my time and I was happy with how it came out. It certainly is the highlight of the piece.
The drawer is a frame with a face front, mounted on drawer slides. Because the table is for my mom I wanted it to slide smoothly. The door is mounted with knife hinges and it was my first time using them. They took a lot of time and I found them tough to mount. You have to get them perfect in all three dimensions for the door to fit just right.
I finished it with medium walnut Danish oil and then a couple of coats of Arm-R-Seal. The top has about 6-7 coats as the veneer kept soaking it up.
I am really happy with the result and this project had a lot of firsts for me.