|Project by Jim Sellers||posted 12-05-2013 01:49 AM||2573 views||42 times favorited||56 comments|
Well I had a veneer pack and an itch to build another one of my round cylinder type boxes on a larger scale but I had to find an idea for a design motif. Then one of my facebook friends posted a group of pictures of street graffiti art, one of which I stole the basic image from (nothing signed or credited). I tried to enhance it with a subtle female form stolen from Sandro del Prete, a great illusionist. But I can take all the credit for the sides which I over designed and took way too much time, and wish I could have made that top seam invisible. But in spite of my own self criticism over a few minor flaws, I’m pleased with the end results. Finished with a couple coats of sanding sealer, then a couple coats of satin poly. I learned a few lessons on veneer glue ups that I won’t go into here but plan to do a blog on. Unlike my first one where I hollowed out a section of a wood column ripped in half, this one I made from scratch. Starting with plywood discs cut in half. Made a template/cradle/jig, ripped some 3/4” pine (6 pcs at 15degrees), glued and clamped with weights. Attach discs to sides (I was out of 1/2” plywood so I used 2 pcs of ¼). Then I knocked all the corners off by running them over the joiner, then the sander and you’ve got 2 almost perfect ½ shells. The pivot pins and swing arms I made from brass rod. There’s nylon bushings through the pivot pins between the top tray and shell to keep it in place and clear the swing arms. I’m just glad that it’s finally finished. I started on it back in August but had to set it aside for periods to earn a living and build a new tool shed.
-- J.C.Sellers, Norcross, Ga. Just cut it right the first time. The best carpenters make the fewest chips.