|Project by Litrenta||posted 12-02-2013 02:17 AM||3243 views||28 times favorited||5 comments|
Well I’ve been so busy finishing up workshop projects that I figured I dive in and do some more pieces before my wife questions what I actually do in the shop.
I am about to build a walnut coffee table but haven’t had a chance to learn some more lathe techniques before I jump into making the legs and since I had a bit of extra walnut and maple kicking around I thought I would make a candle holder to test out my skills. I just ripped some 3/4” maple and walnut to create the base of the holder. Then I bevelled the edges on the table saw and cut out some square blocks as feet. I took on this project because the majority of my projects in the past are usually 90 degrees so this tested my skills a bit more. The blocks I had to find the same angle as the bevel and then chisel out the profile by hand. I used my table saw first to clean out a bit of the waste. Glued it up, sanded it down, put some mineral oil on it to bring out the colour and there you have it.
The 5th picture you can see my screw up though (as usual). I have a pretty useless drill press when it comes to drilling big holes in anything but MDF or plywood so I had to make a template and route out the holes. I drilled a relief hole and then used a pattern bit with my plunge router. Only problem was at one point I realized I didn’t lock the router base down when I was at my depth of cut so I started chewing into the MDF and my piece =( I just drilled a new set of larger holes in a pattern and did it again. The glass holders I bought after I drilled actually fit perfectly so it all worked out in the end.