|Project by Dusty56||posted 11-28-2013 09:53 PM||1914 views||3 times favorited||27 comments|
The newlyweds were married last month and I’m just getting around to posting one of the gifts that I gave to them.
They were quite pleased with their gift and I hope that they are making good use of it : )
This board is a change for me as I usually only make run of the mill flat grain boards. Although this is still flat grain, I finally got brave enough to chop it into smaller sections and glue it back together again. As you can see in the first picture, it was going to be a rectangular board, but “stuff” happens and the last photo is the end result. I used TBIII instead of my usual TBII on this one. It seemed to accentuate the cross grain glue lines as it seems to dry darker than TBII does, especially when gluing Maple.
I used Maple, Tiger Maple , Honduran Rosewood, and Cherry. The Cherry was used after re-ripping the cross grain glue lines in order to “disguise” them. In the end, I think they added to the piece : )
I wasn’t thrilled with how dark the Tiger Maple became after oiling it, but others thought it looked fine.
I used a Beeswax and Mineral Oil finish on it after first applying several coats of plain Mineral Oil to the board.
The beeswax finish left a nice sheen on the board without being oily to the touch.
Interested in your comments and critiques as always. Thanks for looking and Happy Thanksgiving to all : )
-- I'm absolutely positive that I couldn't be more uncertain!