|Project by BusterB||posted 11-26-2013 03:05 AM||2399 views||12 times favorited||20 comments|
Recently did a project that required quite a bit of radius sanding so I used a set of drum sanders that attach to the drill press. I kept having to flip the work pieces over to get that small strip that the drum was missing because I had to leave it elevated slightly above the table. Was a irritation when trying to work with multiple pieces so I started looking at options to improve the process. I saw a few projects where fellow LJ’s had built versions of this and knew I needed one. The first issue I ran into was not enough clearence in the DP to utilize a table. No problem…I would just replace the DP column, no sweat. Yeah right… pulled the column and used the calipers on it…of course it was metric…ah the joys of using tools made in China…lol Good luck locating a piece of pipe thats 1.81 inches (46mm) outside diameter at your local hardare. Well talked to a freind of mine with skills and he turned a piece of pipe down to the required size for me. Increased column length from 16” to 30”. Now it is almost too tall and may have to be shortened a wee bit. Well with that obsticle overcome, I was finally able to build the table. Knew I wanted a couple of things… a dust collection port and a way to change out the top so I could use different sizes of drums. The dust port was pretty pretty straight forward, used a 2 1/4” forstner bit to bore it in one of the end pieces. For the interchangable top, I borrowed an idea for Steve Marins drill press table video and cut the sides of the gap at 45 degrees so I was able to simply slide the different blanks in and out easily. The last pic shows the DP before the column was changed.
-- Buster, Ocoee TN (Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place then come down and shoot the survivors - Hemingway)