|Project by JoshOne||posted 269 days ago||935 views||2 times favorited||4 comments|
I thought we could use some nice Japanese knives, but I wanted to re-handle them with a nicer wood: bastogne walnut.
I turned the walnut on the lathe to give it a slight taper, then turned about an inch at the end to a straight cylinder, the exact inside diameter of the copper pipe, which I used as a ferrule.
Then I cut the handle down the center, with about 3mm of offset to account for the thickness of the tang, so when it was all glued back up the blade would sit in the exact middle of the handle.
The ferrule is epoxied on,once I had everything in place and clamped, I just turned the ferrule around in place four or five times to ensure the epoxy was evenly distributed.
The ceramic bowl up top is for an oil-damp rag, which you wipe the blades with after they’ve been washed. This creates a patina of oil between the steel and the air, and thus helps to prevent rust.
The box is made from walnut and cherry, and I wrapped some scrap wood with Japanese fabric to support the blades in the box. Thanks for looking!
-- "The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne"