|Project by James Alberding||posted 11-25-2013 03:25 AM||3475 views||4 times favorited||21 comments|
PLEASE FORGIVE ANY TYPOS AND MISSPELLINGS… I am posting on my phone and I miss letters often and my spell check doesnt work on here.
It has been a long time since I have posted any porojects. This one took me a long time because I had to get creative with obtaining materials due to being laid off and not having much money.
I used the guide from PokerDA.com for the racetrack poker table design I found on their website. Its very simple, and anyone can folow it. I found their site through Lumberjocks a while back when browsing projects.
I used two sheets of 3/4” plywood. One was a regular sheet of plywood and one Oak Veneer plywood. I found a piece of the Oak plywood that had a piece of the veneer torn off in the corner (where I would be removing anyway) and got it for half price from Home Depot.
Following the directions from PokerDA.com I marked my cuts for the radius using a cheap yard stick with holes drilled to accept a pencil tip and pivoted on a screw at the center point(theyy recomebd usibg a string tied to a nail the center but i cant keep even pressure). I cut the sheets using my jigsaw. I spent a good amount of time cleaning up the cuts with a sander because my jigsaw blade doesnt make the straightest or square cuts. Not to mention slight movement by me from either side of the lines.
Rail: I bought a really nice textured vynl that was as close to the wolf grey in the Seahawk Logo that i could find from JoAnne Fabrics. I believe I bought 3 or 3 1/2 yards. I spent alot of time trying to hunt down a deal on foam to cushion the rail. I found a company who sold me two sheets of trimmings that both had about 4’ of uniform 2” material to work with. I cut them down to usable sheets, placed them side by side and laid the plywood rail over the top. I traced and cut the foam strips that looked like two “U”s butted up at the open ends. I glued those down to the plywood cutout with spray adhesive. Then I laid out my vynl and placed the rail over it foam down and wrapped it tightly with a staple gun. Then cut out the center and stapled the inside tightly as well then trimmed the excess. If I do another table I will try and go with a one inch thick foam instead of 2”.
Racetrack: I bought the Oak vineer sheet of ply for this racetrack. I drilled 210 holes in two strips with the holes about 2” apart on either side of the “track” to inlay spent .357 magnum shells. (although i tell people there are a couple live ones so dont be slamming stuff down on my table!) I Stained it with a maple or Pecan stain. Once I finished both coats of stain and let it dry, I added the green stripes usibg a roll of adhesive auto pinstriping I picked up from a vynl graphics company. the Seattle Seahawks print and the Logos are from two sets of refrigetator magnets that my girlfriend bought at the craft store she works for. To inlay the spent shells i had to cut the shell casings down so they didnt extend past the bottom of yhe plywood preventing me from attatching the race track to the bottom base sheet. I carved out a slot for the shells and cut them to length with a medal blade on the jigsaw with the jig clamped to my saw horses. The thickness of the magnets are the same as the heads of the shells. I did not inset them because I had planned to cover it with Envirotex Lite, a self leveling resin finish. I did miscalculate how much I needed and had to rush to the store and get more resin mix before it set up and barely avoided a terrible failure. If done again I would have only done one strip of shells, I did not think about the rail covering the outside strip.
Playing Surface: The playing surface is the inside piece of the Oak plywood, wich helps a bit because of a nice even surface to glue the 1/4” foam down. It keeps a smooth surface after the foam padding is glued down and the felt is stretched and wrapped into place. I did not find a felt that I wanted to use at the fabric store, But instead of purchasing something online I found a “bed sheet” fabric that had a print I though would be perfect. Its not felt but with the padding below it it works perfectly and I am happy with it. I also scored a set of 8 matching chairs for free on craigslist. I didnt like the green fabric so I took the left over fabric from the playing surface and tried my hand at upholstry. I need to get a couple more yards and I have matching chairs!
Table Legs: The base that I used was a great find for free on craigslist. It was a confrence table that was left behind by a tenant and the property managment just wanted it removed. I cut it down a foot on either end and removed the outer supports and it fit perfectly under the table. It is incredibly sturdy also, so you dont have to worry about people bumping the table as the night goes on and spilling beer on the fabric covering the playing surface.
The only thing I have left to do is get some of that new Hydrophobic spray and spray it onto the fabric so it will not be damaged by drunk’n spills! If you donnt know what I am talking about search YouTube for Never Wet!
-- measure once, cut twice...