LumberJocks

painted MDF speaker cabinets

  • Advertise with us
Project by bkillen posted 152 days ago 914 views 3 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

A while back I built my own mixing monitors for my home recording studio. I used some 8” mid-woofers I already had and found some 1” tweeters on closeout from a discontinued commercial studio monitor. Cabinets are 3/4” MDF. For the tweeter waveguide I started with a piece of MDF drilled a 1 1/4” hole and then used chamfer bit leaving 1/8” for the bearing to ride on. after measuring the widest point I used a hole saw to drill the next layer and then chamfered it too and glued them up. This gave me the 1 1/2” deep conical horn. Lots of sanding and dust masks on this one. I got it prepped and smooth with filler primer first then about 10 coats of rattle can red. after paint cured I wet sanded and used automotive polish.

-- Jack of many, master of none.





6 comments so far

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

3854 posts in 798 days


#1 posted 152 days ago

Great looking speaker! It’s amazing what you can do with MDF, rattle can red and wax—very nicely done.

-- John C. -- "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." George Washington

View MrNorwood's profile

MrNorwood

106 posts in 218 days


#2 posted 152 days ago

That paint job is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!

I’d be interested to hear the step by step of how you arrived at that level of finish

-- Remember, Jesus was a carpenter.

View bkillen's profile

bkillen

15 posts in 197 days


#3 posted 152 days ago

Thanks for the compliments. I used heavy fill primer like you see at automotive stores. I used about 4 coats of primer with progressively finer sandpaper after each coat. I used a flat sanding block on all flat surfaces and hand sanded the curves. I started wet sanding between primer coats, but found if the finish got too thin in a spot it would swell the MDF. I switched to mineral spirits for wet sanding and that solved that issue. Soon I had a nice smooth primer grey finish and let it cure.

I shot all the red in one day using acrylic enamel from a can. I didn’t have a compressor yet. I found some useful tips for getting better results from a rattle can on a motorcycle message board. After shaking the cans for at least 2 minutes put the paint in a bucket of warm water for a bit. Warming it increases the pressure in the can slightly and thins the paint so it flows better. I put on light coats every 20 minutes. I think I did about 10.
Then I let it sit for a couple weeks to cure. Next I wet sanded with 2000 then automotive polish using a sponge pad on an electric random orbit sander. A buffer would work but the size of my 6” RA sander was a better fit for this project.

-- Jack of many, master of none.

View ohwoodeye's profile

ohwoodeye

968 posts in 1659 days


#4 posted 152 days ago

Wow do these pop. Fantastic finish.
I can imagine the cone was a lot of work but sure worth the effort with these results.
Well done.

-- Directions are just the Manufacturer's opinion on how something should be assembled. ----Mike, Waukesha, WI

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3278 posts in 1873 days


#5 posted 152 days ago

Can’t go wrong using MDF for speaker cabinets and you certainly made them look good with that paint job!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View Tomoose's profile

Tomoose

278 posts in 1879 days


#6 posted 151 days ago

Solid work. These will inspire many others to use your finishing tecnique.

Tom

-- cut it twice and it's still too short...

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase