|Project by J. Curtis Goforth||posted 11-21-2013 06:51 PM||2979 views||23 times favorited||13 comments|
So, I finally finished this lamp that I’ve spent over a year making! This was by far the most difficult thing I’ve made to date, not including the five stitches I received in the web of my left hand as a result of paring the corners of the shade with an extremely sharp chisel and no clamping device…lesson learned the hard way.
I was given some walnut by a friend, but it was sawn too thin to use for furniture once it was milled. So, although these are usually made of quartersawn white oak, I made this one out of walnut. I initially wanted to use amber mica for the shade, but I found this wonderful stained glass and when it is illuminated it looks very similar to mica. It has a lot more interest when it is not illuminated too (see picture 3).
I learned a lot from this project, and I didn’t think I’d ever get it done. So, thanks for looking. The plans were based off several different lamps I had seen and adapted to fit the stock and tools I had at my disposal.