|Project by Mainiac Matt||posted 11-14-2013 12:34 AM||1967 views||3 times favorited||15 comments|
Norm Abram’s New Yankee Workshop Blanket (Hope) Chest seems to be a very popular project for new woodworkers. I’ve been making saw dust for a few years, but this is my first furniture project. I started it as a gift for my daughter, but then she said she wanted to do it with me. I had a couple big projects get in the way and she is very busy with school activities, so it took us 20 months to complete.
This Hope Chest has some unique aspects:
1. Red Oak was harvested from our wooded lot and milled into an 8×8x14 post for use in our timber frame house. But this particular stick was not used in the TF and was stored under tarps for years, until I had it re-sawn into 4/4 boards for use in this project. I planed the boards on my old Delta lunch box, and joined them on my 1930’s vintage Craftsman jointer.
2. Because I was starting with 4/4 lumber, I modified Norm’s design to make the rails and styles 7/8” thick, which gave me a larger reveal with the panels. I made the top 3/4”, as I didn’t want it to be too heavy.
3. I program for our CNC machines at work (mostly simple 2D stuff), so I decided to attempt to engrave her name into the top front style. This is the most sophisticated program I’ve ever done, as the text conversion required a lot of editing in CAD and the final program had >3,500 lines of G-code.
4. After experimenting with Shellac and poly, we chose Watco Danish with a Cherry tint. We both really like it as it brought out the pink patina better. A little less orange than the other options. We set ourselves up for success with the Danish oil as it is a breeze to use. Rubbed in a coat of JPW after it was well dried, though in all honesty, it didn’t seem to do much.
5. I added the fully mortised lock set from Rockler, to keep nosy sisters out.
We’re both happy with the outcome, and even though it took forever, we made some fun memories while we were at it.
Daughter #2 is already lined up for hers. I have some real Honduran Mahogany salvaged from a deck project years ago and given to me by a buddy. That should make for a lot less work
-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!