|Project by Ryan Haasen||posted 11-14-2013 12:31 AM||11628 views||16 times favorited||20 comments|
This is the second large segmented vase I have built and donated to the local Community Crisis Centre auction, where it sold for $2900! As some of you may recall, I built a vase of a similar shape, but a slightly different segmented pattern, last year for this same auction. That vase sold for $2800, so I was very happy when this vase topped last year’s by $100! Of course all of this money is donated to the shelter, where help is provided to those suffering from abuse. This vase is about 32” tall, and 11.5” wide at it’s widest point. The woods used include, in order of largest to smallest quantity used; Walnut, Maple, Cherry, and Gaboon Ebony. I really enjoy working with ebony, I just wish it wasn’t so expensive! I included a bunch of photos below of the steps made to complete this vessel, but if you seek more information about how it was built, feel free to take a look at the post of my previous vase: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/73766
Here are some photos of the construction:
I used hose clamps for gluing the layers together this time. It worked MUCH better than the surgical tubing that I used on the last one!
I sandwiched the layers between pieces of laminate during glueing to ensure the faces were flat.
Every time I glued a couple of layers together, I put the bundle on the lathe and hand-turned the piece while holding a pencil up to the face to create a line that is centred according to the lathe’s rotation This was done so the next bundle of layers glued to this bundle could be glued in accordance to this centre rotation line created on the lathe, not to the previous bundle. This is just to prevent the accumulation of error that would cause the final vessel to be completely unbalanced.
I turn the inside of the opening before I glue it to the rest of the vessel.
It sure is exciting to finally get it mounted on the lathe after all the cutting and gluing! This is where the fun happens!
Carved to it’s final shape and ready for sanding:
After several coats of Wipe-on Poly and polishing. I can’t remember how many coats I applied, I just kept adding more until it shined enough for my taste!
Thanks for taking a look,