LumberJocks

Walnut and Purpleheart Coffee Table

  • Advertise with us
Project by descolada posted 11-13-2013 07:21 PM 1082 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

The top is made of five 6” walnut boards with 8/4 bread boards. The profile on the breadboards were cut by a raised panel bit up top and a monster 3” diameter round-over bit on the bottom.

The legs are tapered and mortised flush with the top. The hope was to have the leg top to sit a bit proud of the top, but my mortises were not clean enough to show. It ends up looking better with the little caps glued on as it’s not end-grain and everyone who has seen it thinks it’s just a continuation of the leg below (woodworkers would immediately notice that the caps are clearly not end-grain).





4 comments so far

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

2410 posts in 1979 days


#1 posted 11-13-2013 08:06 PM

I like this so much I might have to swipe your design. And to be honest, the caps look pretty good to me, although as a woodworker I would see it right away, as I am sure you do every time you look at it.

Is there any apron between the legs? It looks like you simply put the legs into the 8/4 top.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View aussiedave's profile

aussiedave

3114 posts in 1288 days


#2 posted 11-13-2013 09:53 PM

Very nice coffee table, nice fine tapered legs…

-- Dave.......If at first you don’t succeed redefine success....

View Rick's profile

Rick

8287 posts in 2497 days


#3 posted 11-14-2013 12:36 AM

Very Nice Work! Thanks For Sharing.

Rick

-- Hope Everyone Is Doing Well! .... Best Regards: Rick

View descolada's profile

descolada

52 posts in 1262 days


#4 posted 11-14-2013 06:30 AM

Thanks guys. This is definitely one of those cases where a like the work-around better than the original plan. Still bugs me a little every so often when I remember why ;-)

I didn’t use any aprons for this, it was just a through tenon about 1” square with 1/2” shoulders on the legs. I waited until I had everything ready for glue-up before I made the go/no-go decision on aprons and was happy with the stability with everything held together with clamps, so went with the cleaner design. You could sturdy it up a bit with aprons, but it’s plenty stable for my uses (resting my legs and board games).

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com