|Project by Peter Brown||posted 11-13-2013 04:47 PM||2847 views||24 times favorited||7 comments|
First, I started by re-sawing some cutoffs and turning blocks I had around the shop. This was mulberry, walnut, sycamore, pine and some dogwood.
I passed each piece through the planer to give it a good gluing surface. Then arranged the pieces and glued them together.
After the glue dried I drew a simple surfboard shape and spray glued it to the blank. Took this too the band saw and roughed it out.
I sanded the front profile and then attached a piece of plywood with double stick tape. This would keep the piece from rocking when I brought it back to the band saw to cut off a “slice” about 1/8 inch thick.
I got 4 barrettes from this blank. I sanded the backs and then glued on the clips. I found the clips on online, for a good price: https://www.etsy.com/listing/54711698/12-wide-french-style-hair-barrette-clips
I think epoxy would be a better choice over hot glue for the future. I had one fail, and used epoxy for repair. The other 3 are strong and I think I’ll leave them.
Finished with 4 coats of poly and shined up at the buffing wheel.
I also made a video of the process
Thanks for looking!
-- Peter Brown - Collector of WD-40 and wood splinters