|Project by KnotCurser||posted 11-11-2013 03:01 PM||2705 views||7 times favorited||14 comments|
A couple of years ago, I posted a register vent I made on my scrollsaw.
Since then, I have added a new “toy” to my woodworking arsenal – a CNC Router.
About a month ago I had all the carpeting in the house replaced with solid birch planks and decided that the contractor-grade brown metal vents just weren’t cutting it so I designed four new vents and used my CNC to cut these out.
I used 1/2” thick pieces of Maple, Cherry, White Oak and Chestnut for these pieces.
On two of them I removed the louvers from the original vent covers and added them on the bottom of the wooden ones so I can control the air flow – the other two I just made a simple alignment “frame” on the bottoms since they would be always open.
Finish was spray lacquer on both sides to avoid warping.
Pic 5 shows the maple vent a few minutes after the router was done with it – still a bit of cleanup, but it worked really well! The maple had a bunch of “fuzzies” – the others finished much cleaner.
I have a few more to do, but it’s a good start.
-- Robert Rhoades WoodWorks / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.rhoadesclan.com