LumberJocks

Lidded Cup

  • Advertise with us
Project by Gorak posted 08-09-2008 01:14 AM 766 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

After being away from my lathe for 2 1/2 years, this piece was most frustrating and took twice as long to complete as it should have. The first disaster was when it came unglued from its glueblock and flew across the room after the outside had been finish sanded and I was about a third of the way through hollowing it. I had to use some trickery to get it remounted and recentered before I could reshape the outside to remove the dents and resand.

The second mini-disaster was when I had completely finished the piece (except the lid), had already applied the finish and had reversed chucked it to finish the bottom. I won’t go into the gory details because it was a stupid mistake, but suffice to say I had a catch with my little skew while putting a decorative ring on the bottom which completely ruined the bottom and put a small mark on the bottom 1/16th” of the side. Fortunately I had left a bit of meat in the base and was able to turn off the bottom and redo it.

The other lesson I learned on this piece was to not use too much CA glue to strengthen the edges of the voids. Once it cures it is far harder than the wood and its a SOB trying to shape the work with a gouge when you keep running into this rock hard mass right in the middle of your curve. It also dulled every gouge I could throw at it. Won’t do that again…

As frustrating as this piece was, I am extremely pleased with the end result. The cup is maple burl with a void near the base. It was turned with a wall thickness just a hair over 1/8” and finished on the lathe with shellac and friction wax. The lid is end grain padauk and has a bit of chatterwork on the inside. Because it is endgrain, the lid and handle are a single piece. I applied a coat of tung oil to the lid before the shellac and friction wax.

It is about 2.5” diameter and about 4” high.

-- Anything worth doing is worth overdoing





6 comments so far

View Bradford's profile

Bradford

1434 posts in 2476 days


#1 posted 08-09-2008 01:41 AM

You didn’t forget anything, obviously.

-- so much wood, so little time. Bradford. Wood-a-holics unanimous president

View Gorak's profile

Gorak

12 posts in 2231 days


#2 posted 08-09-2008 01:44 AM

LOL – I wish that were true! I’ve made a few of these in the past and should not have make the stupid mistakes that I did. It’s amazing how much our handskills can deteriorate when we don’t stay in practise.

-- Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

View Bigbuck's profile

Bigbuck

1347 posts in 2316 days


#3 posted 08-09-2008 02:01 AM

Looks like you did a good job overcoming your mistakes. Nice job

-- Glenn, New Mexico

View trifern's profile

trifern

8132 posts in 2420 days


#4 posted 08-09-2008 04:49 AM

Great little lidded project. I really like the natural void. It really gives it character. Nice lid as well. What kind of lathe do you have? Thanks for sharing.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

View Gorak's profile

Gorak

12 posts in 2231 days


#5 posted 08-09-2008 07:41 AM

Thanks for the comments. I use a Nova 3000 lathe with a variable speed DC motor. In fact, if you look closely on the lathe, you can see this particular piece still mounted on the chuck.

-- Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

View Callum Kendall's profile

Callum Kendall

1918 posts in 2356 days


#6 posted 08-09-2008 08:23 PM

Great job!

Thanks for the post

Callum

-- For wood working podcasts with a twist check out http://thetimberkid.com/

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase