|Project by j_dubb||posted 126 days ago||2119 views||18 times favorited||12 comments|
For a good while we’ve been using one of those cheap black plastic shallow things just inside our front door as a place to keep our shoes. Naturally shoes would pile up, and it’d become a bit of a mess.
I decided early on that I wanted to up my woodworking game and really go all out on the next project, which would be a nice bench to put by the front door. I was going to make it so you could open up the top, I had decided I was probably going to use oak for the project.
Ultimately I decided that oak was simply too cost prohibitive for this project, unfortunately. Some more time had passed until one night I was idly browsing the web looking for project ideas when I stumbled upon a 2×4 project website (http://www.morelikehome.net/2012/09/31-days-of-2x4-projects-day-1.html) and found a bench.
I modified the dimensions to suit our needs and went and picked up the 2×4’s from the big box store and got to work.
I previously joked that I estimated the time to complete this project from beginning was somewhere in the realm of 8 hours. 7 hours and 56 minutes of which were spent sanding. Sooooo much sanding…
At any rate….after I had everything screwed and glued I got started with the stain. I asked the wife if she preferred Watco’s Cherry or Dark Walnut by presenting her with a test piece of 2×4 with each stain applied to one side. She opted for the Dark Walnut.
I was satisfied with the results after 4 coats, and then proceeded with 4 coats of wipe-on poly, sanding with 320 between coats and finishing up with some 0000 steel wool.
After the bench was complete I left it up to the wife to outfit it with some baskets. I am happy with how it turned out over all.
The total cost for materials (factoring in that I already had the stain/poly) came in at less than $30….well for the bench itself. The wife shelled out $45 for the baskets! Ugh! lol