|Project by Tooch||posted 11-07-2013 10:35 AM||1410 views||4 times favorited||9 comments|
Ok, so this was a first attempt at wooden hinges. I made some mistakes but also learned some things, and it all came together so I guess its a success. I probably have around 10 hours of work, frustration, problem solving, and a couple meltdowns in this one.
I actually designed the box around the lid, which I found in our waste pile at school. I really loved the grain, and thought that hole going through it and live end would look good as a matching lid/base. So I did a little resawing, and this is what I came up with to match the feel of the lid.
I had a problem with the inside of the base (because there was a freekin hole in it!), so I had to come up with a way to “patch” it. I had some pieces of cork laying around, and after trying it out, I thought it really matched the overall design.
For the hinges, I got a lot of inspiration from looking at Randy’s designs, and borrowed some things from his boxes. One thing that was a roadblock was the joinery on the ends made the lid stick out a 1/4” beyond the back of the box, so I had to do some extra cutting, checking, cutting, sanding, etc.
Finally, when I attached the hinges with the dowels, I accidentally drilled through the lid and gouged the back inside piece pretty bad. That was a pretty big meltdown…. lots of cursing ensued. Anyhow, after some creative troubleshooting I decided to accent the inside with a piece of walnut and tossed some hooks on it for keys, earrings, etc.
Box is made of Oak, hinges and accent Black Walnut. Finished with several coats of Tung Oil and 1 coat of wipe-on poly.
-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails