|Project by ncc123||posted 11-04-2013 05:10 PM||14164 views||6 times favorited||5 comments|
My in-laws are crazy about games, any kind of game. Last winter I was introduced to what they simply called “the board game”, which turned out to be Wahoo, or Aggravation as most know it. I was hooked immediately. The board they used was an old sheet of T1-11 siding with holes drilled through it. Simple, but effective. That is the great thing about his game, you can play it on just about anything.
I decided that it would be a great project for me and an even better gift for the in-laws, so I did a ton of research here on lumberjocks and other sites. I made a template out of 1/4 mdf. This was the most time consuming part. After drawing out the hole locations with a drafter’s square and protractor, I drilled out holes with a spade bit. I originally thought a forstner bit was the right tool, but quickly changed my mind. The spade bit made much quicker work of it, and I didn’t really need to worry about tear out because it is only a template. The holes are 3/4” in diameter. After gluing up, cutting to size, and sanding the poplar game surface, I attached the template with 2 sided turners tape. I used a template guide in my plunge router with an outside diameter of 3/4” and a 1/2” round nose bit to cut the dimples into the playing surface. After removing the template, I ran the edges through the table router with a round over bit on both sides. After sanding the board to 220, it is ready for finishing. I’m leaning towards a tung oil finish, but haven’t made a final decision yet.
The best part, now that my template is done, completing more boards will be a cinch. I even made a six sided template as well. Hope the in-laws will like it as much as I do.