|Project by BertFlores58||posted 11-04-2013 11:39 AM||1487 views||2 times favorited||10 comments|
The thought came up from a window that we call in the Philippines capiz window. Instead of capiz, I used a diffuser (recycled from a projection tv) which is 1/8 inch thick. The combination of wood into plastic becomes a challenging one specially the gluing stage. Here are the feature how simple it was made so to speak but in reality you need a lot of patience.
Started the work on the 4 panels which are compose of skeletal frames rabbeted and cut the square pieces of diffusers. Then the glue is on… at first I used Loctite base but sad to know later that the vapour discolour the diffusers to white. Hard to take out. The second try was the use of glue gun…. it works but it does not stick for a longtime on plastic. A litter hammering then it was off. The last I try is the same wood glue I am using… the evostik which is fine after drying. I had never tried the silicon as it is too messy. The secret in constructing the rabbets on the skeletal frame where the square diffusers sets is…. I use my portable router with a reamer bit 1/2 diameter but I switch the ball bearing from bigger (1/2 dia) to smaller (1/4 dia) making a cut rabbet of 1/8.
One thing I observed with the diffuser I used… though there are white and black type… when the light is on then the black becomes white. Wood veneers are easier to use but easily can be damage.
Then the corner frames are rigid… I used 2×3 on the top, then 1×1 on the 4 sides. A groove on the framing made it easy for me to fit in the diffusers.
No nails been used in this project. I made it heavy so that it is strong enough to hold plant. The top glass is 1/4 inch thick that can hold the weight of the plant. I intentionally did not apply finish because I like it the way it is. Also, I am afraid that these plastic diffusers will change the quality when varnish is sprayed on. Anyway, my commander wife Agnes is the one that likes it very much. Anyone who sees it, would like to have one. Though I have the materials… I will not do it again….. simply because it is really difficult to cut manually those diffusers… on the above total = 55×4 pieces.
I hope you would have an idea on this project.