|Project by EWJSMITH||posted 11-03-2013 11:02 PM||2416 views||2 times favorited||7 comments|
Using the inlay technique described by Scott Lewis on FFW and displayed by others on this site, I decided to try my hand at it. Overall, I’m happy with the technique and the outcome. This was really an experiment for me to try but I did make one major boo-boo and I’m actually happy I did it with my trial/test run. The first inlay of two strips (one cherry, one purpleheart) turned out great. Then I added the cherry strip down the middle. Then I cut the second inlay and that’s when I realized I had made a mistake. My second inlay strip of cherry was not as wide as the cut made using the router and as a result, the alignment of the cedar strip and the first inlays were screwed up. See pics 2 and 3. Ah well, that’s one of the nice things about woodworking. You learn something new every day. Nonetheless, I’m happy with the final product and it will sit in my kitchen for now. My wife loved it and didn’t even notice the out-of-line parts.
I’ll make a few more the right way for gifts and to sell locally. I’m also going to do a hall table using the same technique to donate to our church for a winter raffle they have around Christmas time.
Thanks for looking.