|Project by palaswood||posted 10-31-2013 06:23 PM||1844 views||3 times favorited||12 comments|
I messed around and made a wooden mallet the other day. My first attempt below, using doug fir for the mallet head and a rough turned handle out of SPF lumber reclaimed from an apartment complex property renovation
This project is my 2nd attempt, and think i’m getting the hang of it now.
So having cut in half a planed down 2×4 section, I glued it back on itself, so as to sort of “bookmatch” the endgrain pattern.
No pics of the glue up, but its pretty straightforward.
I planed it to shape best I could, then ROS sanded with 60 grit to get the endgrain down to a nice glue line and flat.
Then I drilled a hole down the center.
The hole on the first mallet was VERY off center coming out the bottom, and I got mad tear-out, so putting a block under would really help (which i neglected to do again!). I was really careful to watch the level bubble on the drill back this time, since no drill press :(
Worked well. I then turned the handle on the lathe out of a blank of really light, but strong straight-grained douglas fir from a reclaimed 2×4. Now they are sanded to 400 grit and ready to assemble.
I split the end of the handle with my dovetail saw, then widened it with the miter saw & drilled the bottom so it wont split
I didnt use glue, just wanted a wedge alone. I made the wedge from a strip of walnut cutoff from a cabinet shop near my workplace.
Didn’t quite fill the slot completely. I have a gap on one side.
So I improvised by adding a mini wedge piece and it doesn’t look too shabby after some clean up with the chisel, knife and sandpaper.
Sanded smooth to 600
The finished piece after applying Watco Danish oil
This was so much fun, and I completed it in about 3 hours, not counting the previously glued up head piece.
I believe its time to graduate to some hardwoods…
-- Joseph, Lake Forest, CA, http://instagram.com/palas_woodcraft#