|Project by ChuckH||posted 10-30-2013 03:06 PM||685 views||1 time favorited||1 comment|
This is one of my earliest projects, from 2008. I couldn’t fathom how to construct wide panels, so I purchased shrink wrapped pre-glued panels at a big box. At the time the only joint I knew about was a dado. I cut a groove into the bottom and top, less than the width of the uprights, then made a tongue on the uprights to fit. It’s a very, very wide mortise and tenon. Or a tongue and groove with stopped grooves. I’m not sure what to call it, but I did the same thing for the horizontal shelf.
I think the side shelves were done similarly – however by the time it came to do the support brackets I was tired of cutting dadoes so those are just glued. Similarly, the base is just a frame with mitered corners, glued and tacked into place with some pin nails.
I did not finish this – I was tired of working on it, and tired of watching tv on the floor.
- I forgot to stop one of the stopped dados, and instead went all the way through. I hadn’t cut the tongue/rabbet/tenon yet so I made that side flush, and put it on the back.
- I didn’t account for shelf thickness when I measured spacing, so a DVD case won’t quite fit on the middle shelf.
- Similarly, the HTPC doesn’t quite fit on the side shelf because I didn’t account for either the board width or the chamfer.
- The shelf brackets should have been more sturdy, as should the connection to the base.
- I purchased a chamfer bit for the router on this project – to me it was revolutionary how a little bit of edge treatment changed the appearance of the finished piece.
- It worked.
- This design doesn’t have much in the way of diagonal support, and I always worried it would become wobbly. It never did while I used it, for about 2 years.
- I didn’t think about it at the time but in retrospect I wonder if the 1/4” grooves were substantial enough for the use I put them too.
- I really should have finished it. I dislike sanding and finishing, and really have to get over it.