|Project by TheDKcreations||posted 10-26-2013 07:15 PM||2131 views||3 times favorited||5 comments|
Most of the work I have done lately is for Marines either moving on to different places or retiring. Traditionally, for retirees, we give them a shadow box to commemorate their time in service. The coin case has become a hot item in my unit. The shape of the case mimics the shape of the 3d Marine Aircraft Wing logo. The idea is to put a coin from each of the squadrons and groups into the coin case. This case in particular is the second one of its kind. This time i added the base so it could be stood up on a shelf or a desk.
The second case was a lot of fun to build. I was given a few items and direction to make a product that would knock the man’s socks off. On the top, you see a campaign cover worn by Marine Corps Drill Instructors. I managed to cut the cover in half at a 22 degree angle and mount it to the backing. I built a small brace to mount the cover as well as installed a small light underneath the cover to help bring out the items in the case and lightup the etched image on the door glass. I chose to mount the cover at an angle for a few reasons. First, its the way the DIs wear it. Second, it covers and directs the light so it cant be seen from the outside (sort of a lampshade, if you will) Below the campaign cover, I decided to build a small coin rack. Each coin represents each unit that the SgtMaj served with during his 30 year career. The coins fit nicely at a 22 degree angle and can be removed. On the very bottom of the case, you see two belts, these are the belts that DIs wear and needed to be used somehow. After a lot of thought, I decided that there would be too much wasted space if I was to just mount the belts below the coin rack. I decided that I would build a small drawer and mount the belts to the face of the drawer. As a final piece to tie everything together, I built a glass door and etched the epic Iwo Jima flag raising on Mount Suribachi along with the SgtMaj’s name. The door is mounted with a brass piano hinge and a magnet to keep it closed.
I worked on these items concurrently for about a month and a half. I built them out of walnut. The background is felt and I used Boiled Linseed Oil as the finish. All and all I am pretty happy with the final outcome.