|Project by doubleDD||posted 10-23-2013 03:29 PM||2116 views||8 times favorited||21 comments|
I finally think I finished my lathe stand for the new lathe. After adding things, subtracting some, changing constantly, here’s what I came up with.
With 2 1/2’’ x 6’’ 15% splayed legs bolted and screwed with 2×5’’ for the main stand and three 2’’ x 4’’s screwed together and spaced under the top of a 2’’ x 12’’, this stand is very very sturdy. Nothing fancy but I was looking for stability.
Instead of having to weigh it down with weights, sandbags, etc., I used the weight of the lathe accessories, which at this time has to be over 100 lbs.
I originally had 2 drawers with still a large space at the bottom for logs to be used as weight, but wanted to get more accessories in front of me. So I added 2 more drawers and that seems to be working out fine. As long as I quite getting more stuff.
I’m using the one side to hang some hollowing equip and the other side is still undetermined. I still have 4 3/4’’ under the drawers for storage. Added a little rack in the back for my centers and a flexible bright light.
Who says it has to be fancy when function is the main purpose. Installed wheels so it can be moved for whatever and haven’t had to lock them yet. Oh yea, a little apron under the top to keep the shavings out of the drawers. (big help) Sealed good for now, and not sure if I will go with any more finishing. Any comments pro or con will be helpful.
-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.