|Project by Blackbear||posted 10-23-2013 01:27 PM||1451 views||11 times favorited||13 comments|
For my mother’s birthday I made her a Tea box. This is my first box with a lid. This is also my first project with stopped dadoes.
The wood I selected is cherry and spalted maple for the top panel, with walnut splines. The cherry was finished with Watco Cherry Danish Oil, while the spalted maple and cherry panels (top and bottom) were finished with General Finishes Oil and Urethane. Everything got a coat of beeswax also. I thought the maple and cherry finish did not contrast each other enough, but the cherry did darken with a second and third coat of the Danish Oil.
I did the dadoes with a router fitted with a 1/8” spiral cut bit and ran them slightly past where the internal dividers sit. You can see a small round gap at the top of the dividers. I don’t think it looks bad at all, but for practice next time I will try stopping short and finishing with a chisel.
The grooves for the top and bottom panels were done on the TS. The top panel is 3/8” while the bottom is 1/8”.
I attempted to do the miters on the TS, but quickly found out my miter gauge does not lock firmly enough into place after being dropped on the concrete floor a month or two ago. I ended up doing the miters on my sliding miter saw. After glue up the splines were then done on the TS, after cutting the top off also on the TS.
I used simple butt hinges. Next time I will try some knife or barrel hinges I think just for looks.