LumberJocks

Auxiliary Table Saw Fence

  • Advertise with us
Project by onecarwallace posted 10-23-2013 12:41 AM 2857 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

A little backstory:

I’ve been learning to woodwork for a little over a year now and I’m just discovering my table saw’s limitations on my first real project. I’m building a shaker style nightstand and I’ve been having problems where I measure the distance from the fence to the blade and then the cut comes out too small. My table saw is a Bosch 4100. Yes, I know, it’s less than ideal for woodworking. Unfortunately it’s all I have room for in my 1 car garage. I’ll make the workshop a priority when I buy a new house some time down the road.

Anyway, I took a square to the fence and I found out that it is slightly off from perpendicular to the table. With the back of a square pressed against the fence, it rises 1/8” off the table surface at a distance of 6 inches from the fence. I guess that gives it an angle of 91.2 degrees. The other side is correspondingly 88.8 degrees off the table.

I called Bosch customer support and was amused to hear the guy tell me that if I want better accuracy than that, I should buy a Delta Unisaw. I appreciate his honesty but I was really hoping for them to send me a new fence. Anyway, I decided to fix the problem by building an auxiliary fence with set screws to correct the angle.

The fence:

The fence has a t-track in it for 1/4-20 bolts, which I used two of to attach a piece of melamine. Next to each bolt I put two threaded inserts, which accepted set screws. The instructions for the threaded inserts said to drill a 9/32 hole. I don’t have that bit so I went one bigger with 5/16, and that still ended up tearing out the surface a little. That tear-out shouldn’t make a difference. Maybe I wouldn’t have gotten it with hardwood. Anyway, the last picture shows that I corrected the problem.

I’ve read about lots of problems with the Bosch 4100 TS fence alignment, both with being perpendicular to the table and parallel to the miter slots. Luckily I don’t seem to be having an issue with parallelism, but this fence can fix both problems. I think my next task will be to build one of these for the other side of the fence, and then make a new tenon jig since my current one won’t fit anymore.

Hopefully the next project I’ll be putting up here will be my shaker table.





5 comments so far

View Jpedi's profile

Jpedi

100 posts in 1526 days


#1 posted 10-23-2013 01:37 AM

My guess is, unless you have DEEP pockets, you are going to have this scenario: pretty decent equipment for a reasonable price, PLUS some of your own ingenuity to get it working for you closer to perfect—which would have cost you a bundle if you wanted to start off closer to perfect. Does that make sense? ????

View onecarwallace's profile

onecarwallace

17 posts in 1184 days


#2 posted 10-23-2013 01:56 AM

Yeah, makes complete sense. Of course the other limitation I’m finding is the motor. It has some trouble getting through 4/4 maple.

One day SawStop, one day…

View Jokker78's profile

Jokker78

136 posts in 1164 days


#3 posted 10-23-2013 04:03 AM

Check your blade. 4/4 is only an inch thick right. Could also be related to the fence issue too.

-- Measure once, cut , measure again, cut and damn its still to short

View kurtb's profile

kurtb

10 posts in 2087 days


#4 posted 10-23-2013 12:57 PM

1-Car: That’s a clever way to address the inaccuracy of your fence. Good job!

I use that model of saw. On mine, it was difficult getting a good angled rip. After making lots of expensive firewood, I realized that the cheesy red clearance insert was the culprit. After I replaced it with a hardwood zero-clearance insert, the angled rips were much better.

Thx for sharing your fence innovation!

View onecarwallace's profile

onecarwallace

17 posts in 1184 days


#5 posted 10-23-2013 01:24 PM

Kurtb, thanks.

I’m going to have to build a sled very soon since I’m building a table top for my shaker table. This should be a good opportunity to make sure the blade’s parallel to the miter slots. I’ve adjusted it before but it’s been awhile and it might need a tuneup.

I think my winter project might just be tuning up all my tools for the spring.

Also, I had the angles wrong in my initial post. The fence was off by 1.2 degrees, not 0.12. It seemed a little low when I posted it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com