|Project by Scott Oldre||posted 10-18-2013 10:40 PM||1840 views||9 times favorited||16 comments|
So this is my rendition of a greene and greene hall table, loosely based on the Bolton home table, and I do mean loosely. This is also my, what I would call, first attempt at real furniture. My first attempts at real mortice and tenon joinery, first attempt at making a drawer with a front, first attempt at making a drawer handle, and first attempt at anything using 95% Spanish Cedar. Everything was milled from 1.75” to almost 3” slabs of Spanish cedar that I got from a warehouse in Ashville, NC. I went there looking for Mahogany, but they didn’t have any of the thicker slabs that I could mill my legs from, so since I’d driven all that way, and they’d give me the SC for the same price $4.50 BF.
This stuff makes some very fine dust. It also was a little concerning when I dabbed some dye on it and it kind of washed out and was pretty dull looking. But….I was committed. This is for my son and new wife for their new house. I’m leaving for Detroit area on the first, so I was under the gun to get it done in time. Stressfull to say the least.
Anyway, its mostly Spanish Cedar, curly maple drawer sides, with solid SC drawer bottom. The accent pieces are Peruvian walnut which I absolutely love working with because its so uniform in color, and it sands like a dream.
Every square hole was done with 3/8 morticing bit, the top accents are all 5/16”.
The finish is one coat of Minwax Red Sedona, followed a day later with Minwax English Chestnut. It looks a little red in the pictures, but it’s actually very close to a Mahogany.
The one glaring mistake I made was after I’d had a perfect fit drawer from side to side, I decided I should give it just a little play and cut a tad too much off which left about 1/8” gap which on a drawer with no edge detail, didn’t quite look right. The sad part was it was the actual cut out from when I cut the front face and it was a perfect grain match. So, I looked at what I had left of the SC and found something that looked close and cut another drawer front. Unfortunately, and maybe it’s just me, but it bothers me a little that the grain isn’t quite the same consistency probably because the face looked to be mostly rift cut and I thin the new drawer front is in between rift and quarter sawn…all I had left to work with.
Anyway, tomorrow I’ll put on a first coat of a satin poly. I’m going to do the underside of the top first, just to see how it goes.
Thanks for checking it out. I think I’d like to make a few more pieces of this type because I really like the accents the Greenes used.
-- Scott, Irmo SC