|Project by JasonD||posted 10-17-2013 02:32 AM||4428 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
My large rip saw is a cheap Stanley that I bought to learn how to sharpen. It came with a crappy plastic handle. After sharpening it, I made a new handle for it out of Red Oak; finished with Dark Walnut stain and shellac. The handle design is based on a classic Disston model that I found on the tgiag website.
I also made a set of wooden try squares to replace my metal engineer squares. The handles are Hard Maple and the blades are Red Oak. I reinforced the glue joint with Poplar dowels. The try squares are left unfinished.
The pics are:
1 – Close up of the handle.
2 – The rip saw next to my el cheapo Great Neck crosscut saw; which I’ll be making a new handle for soon.
3 – The try squares, 2” and 6” respectively.