|Project by AngieO||posted 10-17-2013 01:45 AM||3743 views||9 times favorited||20 comments|
Ok. So I’ve cut three picture frames tonight using my miter saw. I have loved this thing every since I got it back in August for my birthday. But… I kept getting crapy joints for my mitered corners. My brother came over (all he owns is a circular saw) and tried to tell me I was cutting them wrong and something else. I’m very particular about my measuring so I knew it wasnt that. Then my 17 year old tried to tell me what was wrong. LOL. Anywhow… The miter saw has some built in stops for angles at 22.5 and 45. I tried the override and got a little better joints…. but not good enough.
So… it was time to try a different machine. I had heard that you can’t get very accurate miters (weird… MITER SAW doesn’t get get MITER cuts???) Which meant I needed to use my table saw. It was time for a miter sled. I have watched the 5 cut method used by the Wood Whisperer and William Ng. I followed those directions.
When it came time for the the miter rails…. I just grabbed some wood from my scrap bin and started cutting. It’s been a while but I remembered someone saying that the important part was to make sure that the two boards were a perfect 90 degree angle. So… that’s what I did. I attached the first board lining it up using my speed square. I used my air nailer to attach. Then I used another metal square to align the right side. Super easy. At this point I just attached with one nail so that I could test it. First test… came back pretty dang good. Two more nails…. DONE! Love quick and easy.
I glued the back rail on. Wish i wouldn’t have. Because now I realize that I have limited the lengths of wood I can cut. But for now… I’m super excited. I know this is not a great pic. But again… grabbed some scrap wood from my scrap bin and cut this frame out. It’s not glued up yet…. but looks like a pretty good fit to me so far.
Then it was time to glue them up. Well… I made a jig last year for this purpose. But the corner piece is MIA. So I threw together a replacement and used clamps to hold it together while the glue dried. This does make it pretty easy. And I can do a pretty large size frame on here as well. This cherry frame is from the miter saw batch. So my corners are not that great. But this is just for a craft and the details aren’t really going to matter. This is scrap cherry as well.
(WELL… I was going to post another pic here of the small cherry frame in the jig. It’s listed in the pics you can zoom on. But it won’t let me insert a pic from my computer right now.
All the projects I made today were using my scraps. And when I say scraps… I don’t mean free stuff I’ve scored along the way (which most of it was)... but I mean cut offs from previous projects that I threw in my “scrap bin” (AKA…. box I got from the liquor store. LOL).
Thanks for checking out my project. Will share the frames when I get them done. :)