|Project by GlennsGrandson||posted 10-16-2013 11:04 PM||2253 views||9 times favorited||20 comments|
Simple Dimensions – 61”W x 27”D x 30”H
Detailed Dimensions: 61” wide, 27” deep on the sides and 25 1/4” deep in the middle, 30” high (to the top surface), 25 1/2” clearance to bottom of drawer (center, wish I had more)
It has been awhile since the last post and it will be awhile until the next post. School is keeping me busier than I’d like (hence the building of a desk). I bought a stack of oak (White or burr? see image below) from a friend awhile back, nice stuff, about 50 BF for $80, no complaints there! A desk is what it turned out to be (some of it).
Legs and aprons/skirts are M&T, most everything else is L-bracket or screws. It is not my favorite to use this much “non-wood” joinery but time was limited (actually, 10 weeks overdue) so this is how it went down. Finish is Danish oil – natural, and many coats of a homemade wipe-on poly mixture, 7 or 8 on the top, I was too particular at first. Then I learned the skill of wet-sanding with an ROS, 1000 grit, and soapy water (be careful on small areas like drawers, it strips the edges like mad). My wife sad that it was fine at coat 4….but in 2000 watts of flood lightening it wasn’t good enough for me.
The drawer pulls are from Lee Valley.
I bought the FWW plan for the curved front desk but I did not follow it to a “T”, I just wanted it for the leg patterns and to get a feel for the dimensions of the arch, overall the desk is much wider and deeper than the plan. I don’t usually like plans, and I hardly followed this one, I basically bought it for the curves and a couple techniques but I figured that someone deserved some credit/profit for it since I was going to use it.
I didn’t have time to learn my dovetails so I just cut the drawers out of the front apron which is flat but with a curve on the bottom. I did somes dadoing for the drawers.
The legs were fun to make with the curves going outwards in two directions, you really have to see it in person to appreciate it. They aren’t perfect but not many people will notice.
I really like the character of the wood, the changes in color, the depth, the knots/burrs, and there is a metallic-like look in the top middle board with the correct lightening. Speaking of knots, there were two that needed filling with epoxy (JB Weld Wood Restore Premium Liquid Epoxy), I had wanted to put a coin of the year, 2013, in the epoxy but forgot until I poured it…So I frantically searched for some clean coins in the jar, I found a South Dakota quarter that I put in one knot (2006?) and I had another knot and I wanted one that was 2013, the closest I had was 2012…After the epoxy set up I realized that it was a Puerto Rico quarter, LOL, couldn’t be further from where it was built! I really really like this epoxy, it is crystal clear and extremely penetrating.
I forgot to do final dimensions and am away from the desk right now, if I remember I will add them; If I don’t remember, ask me.
I familiarized myself much more with my jigsaw.
I used an edge guide on my router for the first time.
Improved my BS skills.
Drum sanding on the DP.
There it is (in the lawn)!
2 months later and things are holding up great, finish is still great. I notice the space change between the drawers and the front apron, especially after the heat vent underneath has been blowing on it for awhile. Being the tall guy I am, next time I build a desk I think I’d completely omit the middle drawer and just have two side drawers, as I like to sit so my elbows are at 90 degrees when I type, when I do this the drawer is resting on top of my thighs.
Thanks for looking, questions/comments always welcome!
-- Grant - S/N Dakota