|Project by Doe||posted 289 days ago||733 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
It all started when I was looking for cabochons for bottle stoppers. I got an assortment from Fire Mountain Gems that included some donuts. I made a couple of ornaments that looked great so I waited for a sale and bought a bazillion more. I also did some with dyed wood that looked. . . how can I say it . . . Christmas-y.
The first one is maple and lampworked glass. The second one is Verawood with Hemalyke™ and rainbow coating; the wood will look much greener in a few weeks on the windowsill. The third is yellowheart with mother of pearl. The last is cherry and green mosaic (dyed and assembled).
One of the nice things about the donuts is that you can do a bit of hollowing to reduce the weight (assuming you have some tiny scrapers). Here’s a picture part way through.
For this one, I think I checked the fit eleventy-eleven times because the donut was so uneven. I knew I would have to get rid of some of the tube but it’s not a problem with a rotary tool. It doesn’t have to be exact.
Warning: when you press the top over the donut, don’t go too far because you can break the stone in half. It’s better to let the stone spin a bit.
Because the mother of pearl was so bumpy, I put a layer of silicone cement under it. I haven’t done that for others and they’re fine.
I’ve also done some where the brass tube doesn’t go all the way through so there’s a round bottom.
Thanks for looking.
-- Mother Nature talks, I try to listen