|Project by SebringDon||posted 10-13-2013 at 07:34 AM||1077 views||3 times favorited||2 comments|
Here’s our new TV stand based on the one in Family Handyman. It’s red oak for both the face frame and ply case, finished with Kona stain and lots of coats of semi-gloss poly. Wife’s choice on the finish, not mine. It was mostly built when my tools were basically a circular saw and a pocket-hole jig, so it came out pretty nice considering my limitations. :D
I finished most of the build back in February, but we used it for a while unfinished (pic 5) while we had company, and I finally got around to applying finish and installing the TV mount last month. A visit from my stepson today finally gave us a chance to get the TV up on the mount. It’s mounted in pic 1 and still on the supplied stand in pic 2.
We wanted the TV off the top of the TV stand, but didn’t want it mounted on the wall. Here’s the solution I came up with. (pics 3 and 4) The pipe fitting is anchored to the top of the stand with four 1/4” bolts through the fitting and 1 1/2” of plywood making up the top and subtop of the stand. The custom wood bracket is also 1 1/2” thick, drilled for U-bolts from one direction and mounting bolts for the TV wall bracket the other direction. A U-shaped trim piece hides the pipe from view (and provides a wiring channel to hide all the wires when I get them tied together and routed.) This approach could be used with any bracket designed for wall mounting.