|Project by bluekingfisher||posted 10-12-2013 11:10 PM||1288 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
You know what’s it like, you have so many tasks and jobs to do you never know where to start or have enough time or space to have them lying around the shop taking up space and getting in the way.
A wet Sunday afternoon gave me the opportunity to replace a damaged handle on a Stanley No 82 scraper I bought some time ago from a flea market. You may be able to see the previous owner had made a repair by drilling the handle and tang and then banging in a tak to hold the handle together, not pretty or comfortable. The original ferrule was also missing
I’m not a fan of turning but when needs must I unearthed my bench lathe and turned the new handle. I made it an inch longer than the original, it just felt more comfortable that way. I turned the front tote at the same time, however not being too familiar with the lathe I took both parts from between the centres of the lathe before tapping the required holes Big mistake, as trying to centre the holes for drilling caused some frustration, especially on the tote where I drilled it out of centre. I guess you learn something all the time, soI just cleaned the original with a rub down and couple of coats of paste wax.
The handle is made from mahogany left over from another project. The ferrule is an off cut from a section of 22mm copper plumbing pipe. I hope oxidation takes it’ normal course, it looks very garish in its polished state.
Three coat of cellulose varnish (dipped and left to dry) then three coats of paste wax applied with 0000 wire wool to finish.
-- No one plans to fail, they just, just fail to plan