|Project by HuckD||posted 10-10-2013 07:34 PM||3331 views||24 times favorited||10 comments|
I just completed my 12” disc sander accessory for my lathe. It’s nothing fancy but I think it’s going to work really well. The basic design is borrowed from James Vavra's project. Thanks, James!
I made one disc from melamine (particle board) and mounted it to a faceplate. For the other three I ordered a Beall Spindle Tap and made faceplates from red oak. One extra one may be seen in picture 6. Then I glued on the 12” birch plywood.
I ordered the PSA sandpaper from Klingspore’s Woodworking Shop. I got an assortment of grits: 60, 100, 150 and 220.
Finish is water based poly.
I used scrap plywood for this project so the only $$ spent was for the sandpaper and tap. The discs are not Baltic birch, just some borg quality birch that someone gave me. It was kinda warped, but I was able to sand it flat so I think it’ll be ok.
This was a fun project and should prove quite useful.
-- Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.